Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Welcome to the Veggin' Out blog

Cassandra Sherrill, graphic artist for the Journal: I need to confess something right off the bat: I’m not actually a true vegetarian in many vegetarians’ eyes. I’m what some call a pesce-vegetarian (and others might call a pesky vegetarian). In other words, I eat fish, but no beef, chicken or pork. I think of myself as mostly a vegetarian, but some say there’s no such thing – like being slightly pregnant.

I turned toward vegetarianism because of health as well as ethical reasons. I wanted to be kinder to my cranky digestive system, and also avoid the hormones and antibiotics given to animals raised for food. I also have a deep love for animals, and thinking about them being killed so that I can eat them makes me feel queasy.

It has been a gradual process for me. One year I gave up beef; the next, pork; and the next, poultry. I don’t have any plans to give up fish, but one day, I might decide to do that, too.


Julie Harris, Journal library director: My main reason for being vegetarian is for the animals – I don’t even like to bite into a chocolate Easter Bunny, much less contribute to the horrors inflicted upon real, live animals…. So I try to learn as much as possible about animal-rights issues. My goal is to go completely vegan. (A vegan diet excludes eggs and dairy products as well as meat. Vegans also avoid the use of such animal products as leather and fur.) I see vegetarianism as a journey, as a way to get from the world as it is now to what it ought to be: a place of peace and plenty for all creatures.

But going veg also turned me into a "foodie." There is so much variety and beauty in the vegetable kingdom, and so many delicious new tastes to be discovered. Now I read cookbooks like novels, and enjoy trying new things all the time.

We'll be updating this blog twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. We may post on other days for special occasions or if there is late-breaking news we think you'd like to know about quickly.

Well, enough about us; let’s talk about you. Won’t you tell us a little bit about yourself, and what interests you most about vegetarianism?

9 Comments:

At 9/05/2006 4:19 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Restaurants with Veg- and Vegan-Friendly menus would be helpful.

How about an RSS feed?
http://www.feedburner.com/

 
At 9/05/2006 7:08 PM, Blogger tom said...

We are glad to see this new Journal feature. We have Wiston Salem roots and always look forward to returning "home". We are a vegan family and share the Reverence for Life" values expressed in your new blog. We hope that you will update your readers on "vegan friendly" places to eat in W-S! Tom & Mary Beth Johnson.

 
At 9/05/2006 10:06 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Welcome to the world of food blogging -- I look forward to reading more!

-Mel Umbarger
designer and food blogger at the News & Record

 
At 9/06/2006 9:39 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Hello-
We have a small CSA in Germanton, just north of Winston-Salem. Our garden provides fresh, local, organic vegetables on a weekly basis to our subscribers. We are completeing our second year and are taking names for our third. Please see our blog below for great articles, photos of the garden and veggies and to get more information.
Tony
http://roundrockfarmblog.blogspot.com/

 
At 9/06/2006 10:41 AM, Blogger Heather said...

For me, I was a vegetarian in college just because I couldn't afford meat. Then, when I'd go home, I'd get sick if I did eat it, unless it was seafood. I did start eating meat again when I started dating my ex-husband, just to appease his family. But now, I'm back to a Vegetarian. I'm told I've a "Vegetarian" rather than a vegetarian because I don't eat any meat or seafood, but I do eat dairy, so I'm not vegan.

I started my Vegetarian lifestyle again just because of all the chemicals that are in the animals. I don't even really trust the organically fed animals really. The only meat I've eaten in the last year is venison, because I knew where that came from.

However, I've gained a lot of weight, which I've found surprising. I think it's because I use cheese as my protein most of the time. I'd like to start learning how to cook more with tofu.

 
At 9/07/2006 4:24 PM, Blogger apple said...

My husband and I are vegans, but only for health reasons. While it is true that "vegans" eat no animal product, dairy, or eggs - it is not necessarily true that they wear no animal products, etc. Your readers may be interested in visiting the website of Dr. John McDougall (www.drmcdougall.com) to learn more about the health advantages of the vegan lifestyle.

 
At 9/08/2006 8:55 AM, Blogger Brooks said...

I became an ovo-lacto vegetarian four and a half years ago mostly for health reasons. I still eat too much cheese and junk food, but I do feel healthier without the meat.
I also don't like the idea of eating animals, although I still wear leather, so I guess I'm still working that issue out in my mind and heart.
And the third reason stems from the ideas I read several years ago in Frances Moore Lappe's book Diet For a Small Planet. Eating lower on the food chain makes sense for so many reasons. If more people chose a meat-free lifestyle, we could eliminate [or at least reduce] world hunger!

 
At 9/22/2006 9:15 PM, Blogger Solitarieone said...

I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 17 years. Started slowly, first eliminating red meat (that was pretty easy), then poultry a few weeks later. Fish/seafood was hardest (because of all "flesh" food, I tolerated it the most), and I eliminated that about 4 months after I started. I eat eggs rarely (and then, it's usually as an ingredient, rather than scrambled, fried, etc.) and milk/dairy on cereal (take calcium cubes for the D and calcium). I do like cheese, though and probably eat it daily in some form or another. Why did I become a vegetarian? I never really liked the taste of meat that much. Didn't matter what kind. As a child, I would try to give my pork chop to the dog or tuck pieces of meatloaf under my mashed potatoes. As an adult, I moved to Colorado and discovered that a lot of people in the town I lived in were vegetarians -- and that restaurants and grocery stores supported them with veggie entrees and products to purchase. It wasn't seen as "odd" or "strange" around the area where I lived. What a culture shock when I came back to NC in 1990! But it was a lifestyle change for me, not a fad or "diet," so I stuck it out and have slowly, but definitely, seen changes around here. I think it's also helped some of the people I work with, neighbors, friends, etc. to see that I'm still a typical wife, mother, professional, etc. -- I'm not living in a commune, shaving my head, or doing psychedelic drugs (or any drugs, for that matter!). Being a vegetarian has become more mainstream, rather than "weirdo" fringe. The benefits? I'm healthy, lean (but definitely not skinny), no blood pressure problems, no cholesterol issues, no acid stomach or indigestion, no headaches, don't catch the yearly colds/flu bugs that everyone around me gets over and over, lots of energy -- no worries about mad cow, mercury in fish, hormones in chicken. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

BTW, neither my husband or son (who was young and living at home at the time I became a vegetarian) were then or are now vegetarians. I tell people that I'm not a "militant" vegetarian -- I can touch meat, prepare it, cook it for others. I don't get upset if a piece of meat touches my food. I've found that, if I'm tolerant and patient (without compromising my principles about eating meat), non-vegetarians have a more positive attitude about me, my diet choice, and vegetarians in general. My husband is probably one of my strongest supporters: if we're at a restaurant and I ask for a salad "without the bacon bits" and get a questioning look from the server, he'll jump right in with "She's a vegetarian and she doesn't eat meat. No bacon, please." Ya gotta love him!

 
At 3/06/2007 10:34 PM, Blogger Lauren said...

For the person looking for the RSS feed: you can always get to it for blogspot by adding "rss.xml" to the end of the URL. The feed for this blog is http://journalnowveggie.blogspot.com/rss.xml

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home