Thursday, September 06, 2007

A Quick Hit

Whew, it's been that kind of week -- rush, rush, rush, and still behind. That has me thinking about meal short-cuts, naturally. A person has to keep her strength up.

So today I wanted to mention one of my favorite convenience products, Vogue Vege Base. Any time a soup, risotto or other recipe requires stock or broth, Vege Base does the job. It’s a powder, patiently waiting in the cupboard. Just a teaspoon is needed to create a tasty broth.

The Vogue Web site mentions other products, including an onion base and vegetarian "chicken" base (and a couple of non-vegetarian products that we'll just ignore) , and has several intriguing recipes and use suggestions.

OK, I’m rushing off again.... Catch you next time. Meanwhile, what are your favorite short-cut ingredients?

5 Comments:

At 9/07/2007 7:19 AM, Blogger sarahsouth said...

frozen veggies, gnocchi, pre-shredded cheese, canned beans!

 
At 9/07/2007 4:35 PM, Blogger Nadia A. said...

Oh, what a yummy question...definitely vegan dry onion soup mix and Rapunzel vegan boullin. Works wonders with rice, mushrooms, cilantro. Oh, and I'm a fried-tofu-aholic (lightly wok-fried, of course ;)

Now gnocchi is something I'll have to try someday...

 
At 9/10/2007 7:05 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

This isn't so much an ingredient shortcut as a meal shortcut, but my go-to "I don't have time to make anything/I don't feel like cooking anything" choice is a veggie burger. Microwave for a minute and a half, and you're done. Add some baby carrots and some baked potato chips, and your meal is done.

 
At 12/12/2007 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Vogue Vege Base available in stores? I'm having trouble finding it, and would rather not order online if possible. But it does sound good!

 
At 12/13/2007 9:21 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi --

Thanks for your comment! Vogue Vege Base is available in stores in this area.

You'll usually find it more readily in health-food-type places - I purchased my most recent jar at Whole Foods in Winston-Salem. If I recall correctly, it was in the same section with the canned soups, boxed broth, etc....

I'll keep an eye out and reply again if I spot it in any regular grocery stores. Do any other readers know of a good place to get it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home