Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Say cheese, again

A few posts ago, I mentioned that Bute Isle "scheese" - a vegan cheese substitute that has won rave reviews - is now available by mail order in the U.S. and promised to give a report. I ordered three flavors – smoked cheddar, blue and gouda – and am enjoying them, but not significantly more than some other vegan cheeses I have tried.... They still have a sort of processed flavor and texture. The smoked cheddar was my favorite of the three.

In general, vegan "cheese" is getting better and better - in years past, I've thrown away packages after one taste because they were so unpleasant. There are many acceptable brands now, and hopefully vegan-cheese technology will continue to improve.

I do have a rave review to offer of another vegan dairy substitute: Wildwood soy yogurt. Fruit-flavored soy yogurts are just fine, but until Wildwood I had never found a plain soy yogurt that I liked. Plain soy yogurts tend to be sweet, and lack that yummy yogurt "twang." But Wildwood is wonderful – I couldn’t tell it from dairy-based yogurt.

The only drawback is that I haven't yet found a local source for it. The tub I had came from The Home Economist, a health-food store in Charlotte. I mean to make inquiries soon to see whether any of our local stores can order it. Meanwhile, if you know of a place that carries it around the Winston-Salem area, please let me know!

1 Comments:

At 3/13/2007 1:47 PM, Blogger My-DC said...

What a great idea for a blog. Unfortunately, Asheville, seems like the only place to get good vegetarian food in NC.

I'd love to see you two review some of the T'ai, Indian, and Veitnemese restaurants in the Triad.

As for the soy cheese issue, I have had a time finding a good one. There is one called Kazaa (I think) that is passable on pizza or lasagna, but it's nothing to get excited about.

I recently posted an entry on vegetarianism in my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home