Friday, September 14, 2007

Organics and your tastebuds

I have to confess that most of the time, I can't sense a taste difference between organic and conventional fruits and vegetables. The organic apple I ate yesterday didn't taste appreciably better or worse to me than the last conventional apple I ate. There are a couple of exceptions I've found, however.

Organic potatoes taste so much better to me than conventional potatoes that it's almost shocking. I can't tell a difference when I look at them. But every time I fix an organic baked potato, I always think, "Wow, this is the best baked potato ever!" Somehow, an organic potato has a different texture than a conventional one -- fluffier and airier -- and just tastes more ... potato-y.

I always buy organic baby carrots, as they're readily accessible and cost no more than regular baby carrots -- they're actually cheaper at Whole Foods than regular-price baby carrots at most grocery stores. However, I've found that, to me, organic carrots often have an oddly soapy taste. It's not off-putting enough for me to not buy them, and I don't always notice it, but it's happened often enough to be something of a trend.

Obviously, everybody's palates are different, but have you noticed a significant taste difference between any organic and conventional produce?

2 Comments:

At 9/16/2007 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not what you can taste or can not taste. It is the amount of pesticides that organically raised produce omit from our soil and it's run off. If you took an Apple and dipped it into a bucket of pesticides that are designed to attact the central nervous system and let it dry would you still eat it?

 
At 9/18/2007 2:36 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Yes, indeed, the lack of pesticides in organic foods is their primary benefit, and certainly the No. 1 reason to choose them. But taste is also something to notice when you're eating them -- especially when, like with potatoes, I find organics even tastier. It's always great when something is good AND good for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home