Friday, November 17, 2006

Thanksgiving

UPDATE:
I just found out that the Triangle Vegetarian Society has a big annual Thanksgiving feast in Durham on the 23rd. What a spread! You can read more about it or make reservations here.

It's shocking to me that Thanksgiving is less than a week away. For most Americans -- and for me for most of my life -- the holiday centered around eating a big, juicy turkey. But since I gave up poultry, that's no longer a part of my Thanksgiving. Instead, I fix a Tofurky or a Veat "chicken" breast, and I've found that I don't really miss the meat -- especially with all the yummy side dishes, like my Mom's sweet-potato casserole (no marshmallows), mashed potatoes, stuffing (being careful to get a kind that doesn't contain chicken fat or stock), creamed corn, green beans, rolls and dessert. I'm always stuffed afterward and ready to partake of that other Thanksgiving tradition: lying on the sofa and watching TV!

The Web site GentleThanksgiving.org is encouraging Americans to celebrate nature's bounty in a wholesome, noncarnivorous way. They provide recipes, suggestions for ways you can help spread the message, on online form to order a free veg kit and a list of events (unfortunately, no public dinners in North Carolina).

Here are some other places to find vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes:
VegWeb
International Vegetarian Union
PETA
VegKitchen
Animal Advocacy

What are some of your noncarnivorous Thanksgiving favorites or traditions?

3 Comments:

At 11/17/2006 12:53 PM, Blogger Mary K. said...

I am amazed that you require people to have Blogger accounts to comment. Luckily I have one, but I've forgotten what the heck I wanted to say thanks to having to dig up my login (I've moved on to wordpress). Do you really want to foster discussion? Then allow people to enter their name and email address, and take the plunge an allow anon. commenting.

 
At 11/20/2006 3:10 AM, Blogger Dilip said...

Come on down, our event is indeed public! trianglevegsociety.org/thanksgiving06 gives all the details including a map showing where guests are coming from. For two years, we have, I believe, been the country's largest vegetarian Thanksgiving. You may also enjoy my food blog at dilipdinner.blogspot.com. Happy holidays! --Dilip

 
At 11/21/2006 2:41 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Don't forget to adopt your turkey!
http://www.adoptaturkey.org/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home