Thursday, June 21, 2007

Farmers markets

We're entering the prime season for farmers markets, when they abound with all manner of summer harvests. I love farmers markets. It's wonderful to be able to browse fresh produce that's come directly from an area farm. You know exactly what you're getting, and you can ask questions of the person who grew what you're buying. That's certainly something you can't get in the grocery store.

The problem with farmers markets is that they're always so darn early. I am decidedly not a morning person, so I don't rouse myself out of bed early on Saturday morning nearly often enough. The early bird definitely gets the worm -- or the choicest selections, in this case -- when it comes to farmers markets.

Here are some markets in the area:

The Piedmont Triad Farmers Market in Colfax, on Sandy Ridge Road off of I-40. This is usually the one I go to on the weekend because it goes on all day. So if I don't get going until noon, I know it will still be open and there will be many farmers there. I especially enjoy going there to get herbs and other plants for my garden.

The Downtown Farmers Market, which is held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. in Winston-Salem, on Sixth Street between Cherry and Trade streets. This is handy for me because of its hours and location near work. Today I picked up some organic squash.

The Winston Salem Retail Farmers Market at the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds is open year-round on Saturdays, 6 a.m. until 1 p.m. It's really quite shameful that I've never actually been to this one!

Casanova Coffee in Lewisville has recently begun having a small farmers market on Saturday mornings, which is handy because it's the closest to where I live. An organic farmer from Lewisville brings his produce, and it all looked fresh and wonderful when I was there last weekend. I was there about 10:45 a.m. last Saturday, and he had sold out of a lot of things already to earlier risers than me.

The Werehouse, at 211 E. Third St. in downtown Winston-Salem, has a farmers market on Saturdays from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m.

The Greensboro Farmers' Curb Market, at 501 Yanceyville St. in the old National Guard Armory building near Memorial Stadium, is open year-round on Saturdays from 6 a.m. until noon and on Wednesdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., May through December. I haven't been to this one, but I'm going to try to get there this Saturday because they're having VeggieFest to celebrate the season. They'll have recipe samples, door prizes and music. Sounds like fun!

Do you go to farmers markets? Are there any other ones in the area that you can recommend?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home