Friday, July 20, 2007

Food when you're sick

Generally, soups are not something I am in the mood for during the hot summer months. But when I'm sick, I crave soup. And I've managed to pick up the respiratory cold that's been going around my corner of the office. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a vegetarian soup that delivers the comfort of chicken-noodle soup when I'm sick. A lot of vegetarian soups tend to be heavy on the spice, acidity or cream, none of which I'm in the mood for even when I'm feeling healthy, let alone sick. One soup my mom used to make when I was feeling under the weather is still good for me these days: potato soup, basically a really thin version of mashed potatoes. If only I could make it as good as she used to, without a recipe!

Since chicken-noodle soup is not on my menu these days as a vegetarian, I decided to try my hand at a quick vegetarian version the other evening. I sauteed some onion and garlic, then added vegetable broth, carrots, egg noodles, fake-chicken strips cut into pieces and a few spices. I let it simmer until the noodles were soft, and I had my comforting "sick" food. It wasn't quite as medicinal as the original, but it was pretty darn close.

Have you come up with a vegetarian version of something that helps you feel better when you're sick?

1 Comments:

At 9/19/2007 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just ditch being a vegetarian; you won't look back.

I'm not trying to bash on vegans, but honestly, how can you pass on chicken soup?


Boo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home