Friday, September 28, 2007

Basil mushroom "chicken"


I ravaged my basil plants this past weekend to make a batch of pesto. But I had enough left to make one of my favorite dishes, Basil Mushroom "Chicken." This is a dish I've been making for quite a long time, even back when I still ate chicken years ago. I modified the recipe -- which I found on a package of basil -- once I stopped eating chicken. Besides being full of flavors I love, it's also quick and easy.

Basil Mushroom "Chicken"

1 t. olive oil
8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
Vegetarian "chicken" strips or nuggets*
1/4 c. white wine
1/3 c. chopped tomato
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil

Sautee mushrooms and garlic in olive oil until the mushrooms are tender and have given up their juice. Add the "chicken" and brown slightly. Add the white wine and cook until the liquid has been absorbed. Add the tomato and basil, and stir until just heated through. Serve.

*I usually use either Lightlife's Chick'n Strips or Veat Nuggets. I've never used tempeh in the dish, but I bet that would work well, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home