Thursday, October 11, 2007

Elvira

(Note: Though Journal reporter Tim Clodfelter is an unrepentent carnivore, he hangs out with a lot of vegetarians and has been known to cook up some tofu. When he was going to interview Cassandra Peterson, AKA Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, he offered to ask some questions for the Veggin' Out blog her about her status as a formerly outspoken celebrity vegetarian who hasn't talked much about vegetarianism in recent years. More of his interview with Peterson can be found in Thursday's relish and online at www.relishnow.com)

For someone who looks like a vampire queen, Cassandra Peterson doesn't care too much for blood.

She has long been involved in animal rights and helps raise funds for PETA and other organizations.

"I've always loved animals since I was born. I got a kitten for a 'being born' present that I had til I was, like , 10 years old," she said. "When I got old enough to figure out how many animals were suffering out there ... I couldn't sit around and do nothing."

For a long time, she was a vegetarian, and she hopes to be one again.

"I was a vegetarian for 13 years, really hardcore," she said. "I have kind of slipped off the vegetarian wagon, I'm sorry to say. I would still say I'm about 90 percent vegetarian, and my daughter is 100 percent vegetarian, so there's definitely no meat in this house, I tell you that. Once in awhile I have chicken or fish, but I'm working on weeding that out of my diet now."

Her slip away from vegetarianism came when she was expecting her daughter Sadie, who is now 12.

"It was pregnancy. Oh my God, I started having cravings for chicken and dumplings, it was so insane."

She has since tried to revert to vegetarianism, but keeps slipping in and out of the lifestyle, especially because of her fondness for seafood.

"It makes me feel awful, because I don't feel as good as I did when I was a vegetarian. I don't feel like I have as much energy, and it's not as easy to stay thin, either."

And with the ultra-tight Elvira dress, she said, she needs to watch her figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home