Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Talking Tofurkey

It's a nice feeling to realize that your lifestyle has had a positive effect on people. Sometimes it's really big - such as a friend or relative who went veg at least in part because of your influence. And sometimes it's something small, like introducing someone to a favorite food and having them enjoy it as much as you do.

I keep trying to tell people how umeboshi plum paste will change their lives, but so far no one believes it. But Tofurkey, now, that has really taken off.

My friend Ira, once he was introduced to the wonders of these faux-turkey deli slices, started buying a dozen packages at the time. He keeps it in the freezer, and came up with the best way of all to prepare it - basically, pan-fried with a bit of oil.

Even many cats, those notoriously finicky carnivores, enjoy Tofurkey. Another convert, Amy, mentioned this weekend that prepares Tofurkey by sauteeing it in a bit of water and then melting cheese on top. Once it's done, her cats enjoy the tofurkey-flavored water that is left behind.

And when my cat MacArthur seemed curious about my breakfast one morning, I offered him a piece of fried Tofurkey a la Ira, expecting him to take a delicate sniff, perhaps a tentative taste, but not much else. Instead MacArthur sniffed, then used his claws to swipe the entire piece out of my hand and into his mouth. It's just lucky that I still have all my fingers.

Readers, do you have a favorite food that everyone seems to enjoy once they try it?

5 Comments:

At 10/21/2007 7:43 PM, Blogger John Borwick said...

People love chocolate soy milk and vegan desserts like vegan cheese cake or vegan chocolate chip cookies. My step-sister even liked tofu beef jerky!

 
At 10/23/2007 3:02 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Quorn products are awesome too. Made from mushroom (fungi) "mycoprotein" and darn tasty. Look for the whole "roast" around Thanksgiving.

 
At 10/23/2007 3:19 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

I have to admit, I'm probably one of the few who don't like Quorn products. The taste and texture just don't do it for me. I wish they did!

 
At 12/17/2007 7:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mine's tofurky too! I tricked my boyfriend with making a tofurky sandwich once, and I have him converted for our holiday meal =)

 
At 1/14/2009 11:20 PM, Blogger La and Dr said...

Seitan! My husband and I make vegan tamales with it (thank you PPK!) We use it in many other Hispanic dishes. Meat-eaters are always surprised it isn't meat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home